generated by sloganizer.net

Friday, June 02, 2006

NO-ZONE

Sharing the road does not simply refer to cars and bicycles. It means share the road with everyone - pedestrians, trucks, everyone. Being a professional driver, I have had additional training about traffic and sharing the road. I wish that ALL drivers received training about this subject before they were allowed to drive on our highways. Mostly I'm talking about learning to share the road with "big trucks".

Recently, on one of my trips, I was making a right turn in a double turn lane. I was in the outside lane because big trucks require a wide turn. A van was in the inside lane also turning right. She didn't give me the room my trailer needed and had to stop her car so it wasn't hit. At the next red light she gave me a stare that would melt butter. Like it was my fault that my trailer wouldn't stay in it's own lane. This kind of thing happens on a daily basis, because people are not taught about sharing the road with big trucks. And this is only one of the hazards.

A campaign was started by the D.O.T in 1994 to educate motorists about the dangers of trucks, called the No-Zone.


Basically, this picture shows blind spots for the truck driver and where you should avoid "hanging out".

Here are a few other ways to be safe when big trucks are near you:

  1. When a truck is turning, STOP. Give them all the room they need.
  2. Stay out of the "No-Zone", if you can't see the trucks mirrors, he can't see you.
  3. Don't pass a truck and then slow down for whatever reason. A truck can't stop as fast as you. Stay out from in front of them when possible.
  4. If a truck is trying to pass you, don't speed up to match their speed. Many trucks are governed, matching the truck speed is essentially clogging up traffic behind you.
  5. When you see a trucks flashers on, he is either stopped or backing up, beware!

Let's all work together to make the highways safer. Understanding the limits of big trucks can help keep everyone safe.

And That's What I Think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home