generated by sloganizer.net

Sunday, June 04, 2006

"God Hates Your Tears"

"Thank God for IEDs", "America is doomed". These and other slogans are held by picketers outside the funeral of Sgt. Daniel Seskers, killed recently in Tikrit, Iraq. They thank God for this soldiers death and of his entrance into Hell. 76 year old Pastor Phelps (who looks like death warmed over) of Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas prays for tornadoes, hurricanes, you name it. They believe that God's chosen people will make their way to their church and when the last person arrives, Christ will return and the world will end.

Is this a twisted cult or what? I have a couple of thoughts about this entire subject.

First, the soldiers are doing their duty. They were sent to fight, because they joined the military to serve their country and our leaders said "Go". Let the grieving family alone while they deal with their loss. Picket the White House if you must. A funeral is for those who have ties to the departed, not a place to create a scene for your cause.

Second, these people are idiots and/or are brainwashed by their cult leader. His daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, will surely continue her dad's cause because she is already on the picket lines, too. I understand how being extreme can get you extra media attention to get your name and cause out there, however, this is beyond reasonable.

Third, Phelps believes that he "is 100% right, absolutely 100% right". This is a strong case as to why I think that religion is crap, to put it mildly. You can twist anything you find in the Bible to make it your cause as you want to interpret it. That's why there are so many versions of the Christian faith. This one doesn't believe in alcohol, that one doesn't believe in birth control, this one says women shouldn't wear pants, make-up or cut their hair. Another one says that multiple wives are acceptable. The list goes on. That's how each "sect" chooses to interpret their version of the Bible. Then you have the other "religions" - Muslim, Hindu, Judaism, Jewish, you name it. They all have their beliefs, like being a suicide bomber for a good cause will reward you in Heaven. Now I don't think any less of you if you are a religious person, but don't push your faith on me. I have my beliefs, too, and I'm not trying to sway you my way.

For those who are interested, I was raised Lutheran. I also had a mother that instilled good morals in me. Today I know right from wrong and I live morally. I don't have a fear of going to "Hell" because I do things with a moral sense of obligation to myself and my family. I consider myself a Humanist. Religion is for those who need a sense of direction and a place of acceptance for themselves.

And That's What I Think.

2 Comments:

  • At March 23, 2013 7:01 AM, Blogger john said…

    you give very weak reasons for discrediting the various religions.
    The absence of religion is a religion in and of itself.
    get a life. Get to know the Messiah documented in Scripture. The Truth will set you free.

     
  • At April 21, 2013 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    John, your “Truth” will keep you ignorant.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home