generated by sloganizer.net

Friday, June 26, 2009

Rhode Island Closer to Changing Their Name

Really? Who new? More than that, who cares? Rhode Island is actively and supposedly for the first time in years, close to changing their name. To what you ask?

It turns out that all this time the state was not simply called Rhode Island. This is news to me as I have been to Rhode Island and learned about the state in school. I've even had chance to see the state on several maps that I've looked at over my 40 years.

No, the actual name is State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. So the opponents say that it's just a waste of time to shorten what is the longest state name, while the proponents say that the name, long or not, is a reminder of slavery.

Are they just splitting hairs here? I think so. Slavery is a part of our history. It is a sad part, nonetheless, but it is a part of what this country went through. By changing the name of a state, can we erase the past? The answer quite simply is no.

We've all made mistakes in our lives but as long as you learn from them and don't make the same mistake again, you'll be better for it.

In short, change the name, don't change the name, either way, it won't change the past. Let's all move on and get along.

And That's What I Think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home