generated by sloganizer.net

Friday, July 03, 2009

Wii - Hab

On a recent trip to El Paso, I noticed a blurb on the front page of the El Paso Times that stated "Wii-hab for injuries".

Intrigued, I picked up the paper to peruse at a later time.

As you may or may not know, I too, was a victim of the Wii , which included a hospital visit.

Let me expand, this past New Years I found myself at my mother's house playing wii bowling with her, myself, my brother and my wife.

At somewhere around midnight, after much alcohol consumption, we were really getting down to it. Before I go on, I must first explain how it is that my mother Wii bowls. Granted, she was a skilled bowler in her day and has the trophies to prove it, but we were miles from a real bowling alley.

She steps up to the imaginary line, toes even, knees bent, leaning slightly forward, hands together. Then she takes two quick steps, swings her right arm back, then throws it forward and she goes down on one knee. Strike! I find this humorous due to the fact that it's a game, on a TV, in the living room.

Quite the opposite is my brother who refuses to even rise from his chair as he does a twisting of the arm as it raises. Strike!

Now, in my drunken humor (or is that stupor), I proudly, and I'm sure loudly, proclaim that I will indeed give the finest example of how my mom bowls.

I step up to the imaginary line, knees bent, leaning slightly forward, shake my rump ever so exaggeratedly, take a small step forward, swing my arm, and do a flip, right there in the middle of the living room! Oh, am I a funny guy . . . was my thought two seconds before I catapulted my self through the air.

Two seconds after I landed, I realized three things. Number one: I'm not as young as I used to be or think I am. Number two: Alcohol and the Wii don't mix. And number three: That was really stupid.

Now, as I writhing in pain, laying in the fetal position, unable to stand or even straighten out, I ask the most important question of the night . . . Did I get a strike?!?

My mom imediately thinks that this is all a joke, because I won't miss a chance for a joke, ever. My wife knows differently, though. Against my better judgement, yeah, so far my judgment has been on target tonight, they load me up into the van and off we go to the emergency room. If I wasn't in so much pain, I would have been yelling like a siren out the window. It was just one of those nights.

Four hours later, after some pain meds through an IV, a couple of CAT scans and a stern warning from the resident nurse to lay off the Wii for a while, I finally got to go home.

The prognosis you ask? I pulled my lower abdominal muscles severely. I must clarify, that the two weeks previously I had had a sinus infection and with all the sneezing and blowing my nose, I had already been feeling sore in my lower stomach. What we all were thinking on the way to the hospital was that I'd gotten a hernia.

Had it indeed been a hernia, this story would not be embarassing, however . . . . .

Two last things: That story in the El Paso Times was about how they use the Wii to help rehab patients and lastly, YES I DID GET THE STRIKE!!

And That's What I Think.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home