generated by sloganizer.net

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Big Disapointment

Last year we went to a timeshare presentation in Dallas to see what it was all about. They promised us stuff just to show up and take a look at their presentation. They didn't follow through on their promises and we left unhappy with the entire experience. That company was BlueGreen.

Moving forward 12 months.

We decided to vacation in Branson, Missouri this year. After much research trying to find the best deals before our trip, we repeatedly came across a company called Westgate Resorts. We had previously decided not to do the "90 minute" presentation but in lieu of the supposedly good deal they were offering us, how could we pass it up?!

We arrived in Branson and had to check in to the "Welcome Center". A 30 minute excursion. Next we had to go to the resort and check in there, another 30 minute, line standing, ball of joy.

We were given our room key and headed to our building. A run down, dilapidated pile of wood and plaster. I first noticed the dirt daubers swarming around and later found their nest on the side of the building. We found our way up stairs and opened the door to a still-in-use or otherwise known as a dirty room with someone elses stuff strewn about.

I was already in a pissy mood but I tried my best to look on the bright side, as soon as we can get a decent room, we were off to see our first show.

They finally found us a clean room to occupy and we were on our way. The room wasn't too bad, about what you'd expect from any of the major chains, but definitely not what I expected from a resort.

The next morning found us in our mandatory "90 minute" presentation. Our saleslady was Sue Jones, a late 50's early 60's woman that talked way too much. Being in sales myself, there is a limit to how much you should talk about yourself as the customer is really not concerned with your personal life. Sue, evidently, was not aware of this as we learned about her husband, her kids, their spouses, her grandkids, other companies she had worked for, how long she's been with Westgate, and on and on and on.

We told Sue right up front that we were not buying that day regardless of how good the offer was. We were merely fulfilling our obligation to sit with her for 90 minutes and then we were on our way. She said that was fine and in looking around she told us that only 1 in 4 would be buying today. "Good", I thought. She can finish with us and move on to someone that may buy.

After her lengthy presentation and the tour of the property, she brought us back for the hard close. When she realized that it wasn't happening, she started getting a little huffy with us. She invited her manager over to make his "too good to pass up" deal. We weren't budging. Then came the lady from "corporate", with yet another offer. Nope, we are not buying, they were all told. When they finally got the point, we were rushed out so fast it made our heads spin. Luckily we did move quick because when I looked back, I think they were all getting ready to spit on us. All of this took a mere three hours! (90 minutes my foot).

I will point out, that up until their third strike at us buying, everyone was very pleasant with us, some even nice. After the final "NO" from us, we were lucky to get a smile or nod out of their employees. I think they make notations in the computer that we were non-buyers and therefore just taking up precious space in their run down building.

We went on to do our Branson vacation. Seeing shows and places and generally just having a great time with each other. As time was running short and we realized that I had too much stuff packed into our trip, we decided to stay an extra day. When I booked the room, I told the lady that we may want to stay an extra night and would that be a problem. She said it wouldn't be and to just call back to customer service and they would set it up. I did, and they said that they were full. Really on a Tuesday night, OK. I then decided to go to the front desk and try, again, they were too full. OK, we'll stay somewhere else and probably have a better room. The morning we checked out of our resort room, the building next to us was completely empty, not a sole stayed there. Again, I think we were black listed in the computer.

We found a cheap motel near the highway where the owners actually ran the place and couldn't be friendlier. We finished our last day in Branson and I think we are really done with wasting our time with timeshares.

Timeshares may work out for some people, in fact I know a couple of people that have timeshares, but I don't think it's for us.

I admit that they had some really nice amenities, indoor and outdoor pools, gym, saunas, horse shoes, play areas, etc. But my family doesn't go on vacation to sit by a pool, we're there for whatever the city has to offer. We want to see the sights, experience new things, do things that we can't back home. We only use our room to sleeping and showering, then we're gone the rest of the day.

Here's my ripoff report about Westgate Resorts.

And That's What I Think.

2 Comments:

  • At August 05, 2008 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL! sounds like a few I've been to. They're all trained to ignore the "I'm definitely not buying today" statement, then go for the hard close because they know 1 in 4 will feel guilty enough to buy in. I've seen these in Maui, Cabo, Colorado, AZ, you name it. Good thing you got out early, and still with your pants! (that's more than some of my friends can say...)

     
  • At August 06, 2008 11:58 AM, Blogger KMAN said…

    LOL, yeah you really feel like you've taken a whippin' once you finally get out of those presentations!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home