generated by sloganizer.net

Friday, January 12, 2007

The Winter Of 2004

An arctic blast of frigid cold weather is about to hit us tonight and we will remain in the 30's until Wednesday or Thursday. We usually get ice a couple of times every winter. Last year I was stranded in Oklahoma because the Metroplex was covered in ice and ALL the overpasses were closed. I had to wait until daylight before I could ease back into town.

I've been driving big trucks for fifteen years and the scariest time I ever encountered was two winters ago. I had a little run to Tulsa where I made several deliveries and then on to Arkansas before I could head home. Just before the Christmas holiday, back in 2004, I just had to run up to Tulsa and then back home for the long weekend.

As I was headed north, I hit a small blizzard. Visibility dropped to 1/2 mile as the snow pelted the area. I got word that Tulsa was spared this storm and I would be able to make my deliveries without any problems, so I trucked on.

Finished in Tulsa, I headed south, dreaming of warmer weather. As I passed I-40 I saw the blizzard was still in full force. It had been snowing in southern Oklahoma for the past 7 hours. Snow was packed pretty well on the interstate and visibility wasn't too bad. The landscape covered in white is one of the most beautiful sights in nature.

Travel was slow, I maintained about 40 - 45 MPH. After the sun set and the temperature dropped, I knew the possibility for slicker roads was imminent. When a couple of big trucks passed me, my misguided confidence told me to increase me speed. With that I eased up to about 55 MPH. The roads seemed packed well, but with night full on the visibility had decreased. Add to this the blowing snow across the road and I was lucky to see 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I knew that I should slow down, but I was becoming transfixed on the road in front of me.

There was lots of talk on the radio about slick roads ahead and many cars and trucks in the ditches and medians. The road felt alright to me and I wanted to get as far south as possible even if I couldn't make it all the way home.

I was less that an hour from the Texas state line when the road became very "dusty". Snow was blowing up from the road surface as well as from the East. Visibility dropped dramatically, but I was convinced that I was still doing alright.

Suddenly, through the snow dust, I saw tail lights! The poor visibility was due to two cars moving extremely slow in the right lane. I instictively swerved left and stabbed my brakes trying to avoid a collision and pass them on the left. When I stabbed my brakes I found out that the road had a thin layer of ice over the snow. I careened toward the median. I couldn't believe this was happening, it seemed so surreal.

As I looked toward the oncoming traffic I saw that a car and two big trucks were lining up with me in what would surely be a life ending crash. I screamed, "NOOOO!!!!" and turned the wheel all the way to the right. When I reached the bottom on the median, the front wheels finally found traction and the truck lurched right. I immediately down shifted and hit the accelerator and drove back onto the highway.

The two vehicles I was attempting to pass had slowed to let my "accident" play out. I eased back into the slow lane at about 35 MPH. I was white as a ghost and shaking. The next truck stop was only about ten miles down the road.

I pulled into the truck stop and got out to examine what damaged had been done. To my surprise, I couldn't find any sign that I had ever left the road, much less went four-wheeling. The next several weeks I would look for the spot where I had left the road as I continued my run to and from Tulsa. I never could find it, though I had a good idea where it should be.

With no damage done to the truck, and no proof of where I left the road, was it my imagination or just a bad dream?

And That's What Happened, Really.

1 Comments:

  • At January 12, 2007 11:04 PM, Blogger 4angels said…

    It was the wings of your guardian Angel that protected you that time and I always pray for God to put a hedge of protection around all my children and grandchildren to keep them safe. And I believe he answers my prayers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home